Thursday, November 18, 2010

What's wrong with signing a pre-nup? I'm going to tell you what's right with it!

Recently, while in a discussion with a couple of financially secure guys the topic of pre-nuptial agreements came up. Being the only female in the mist I was asked would I ever sign a pre-nup. My answer was: Absolutely.

I'm sure that my answer broke all kinds of woman laws, but allow me an opportunity to explain myself.


I think pre-nuptial planning is a good idea just as I do family planning, financial planning, and estate planning. I think people don't fully understand the purpose of a pre-nuptial agreement: It is a contractual document that spells out what will happen in the event that the marriage dissolves.

Ladies the good news is, if the agreement is not to your liking you basically have two options:

  • Don't sign it
  • Counter offer
You are only as good as what you negotiate. The contract can provide for you generously. If you don't like the terms, then have them revised. The point is lack of an open mind when it comes to pre-nuptial planning has GREED written all over it.

With all that being said, it is truly despicable when the contract is presented days or even minutes before the couple is to walk down the aisle.This document can be for the protection of both parties and should be discussed and agreed upon prior to wedding planning. My advice, don't be greedy and evaluate the situation intelligently!




No comments:

Post a Comment