Thursday, November 25, 2010

The cougar and the cub

It seems as I get older the guys that hit on me become younger! At first I was resistant, thinking that a younger man would lack the maturity it takes to date me, but then I reconsidered…a lot of older guys lack maturity too. I often thought that an older woman dating a younger man spoke to her lack of maturity as well.

My mother (who is jokingly calls herself a cougar) typically dates men who are substantially younger than she is. Both of my brothers are in relationships with women who are older than them. And my closest friends date younger guys exclusively.


What is the attraction between the younger man and the older woman? Is it because the cougar offers the maternal instinct that a cub desires? Is it that women are broadening their horizons much like men have been doing for years? I am starting to embrace this cougar thing. Younger men seem to have less baggage and are fun to be around. Since the average women reaches her sexual peak in her forties, and men in their twenties; does it just make sense that more couples are finding that they are most compatible when their ages correlate with their sexual peaks? 

I've opened my mind to the possibility that this cougar concept can actually work, but here's a few items that need to be considered:
  • Is he over 21? If not there is no need for further consideration. An adult woman must be able to enjoy adult activities with an adult man. For example if he's 19, you two can't share a glass of champagne or get into a night club together.
  • Is he established? I can't be patient while a young guy catches up. He'll need his own place because I can't be comfortable hanging out with him at his parents house. He needs to be done with college because I can't float anyone's tuition bill. He needs gainful employment because my expectations of him are the same as if he were older so going out and taking trips should not cause a financial strain on either one of us.
  • How does he handle his business? If he blows his money on video games and candy while his real bills pile up; he is not a viable candidate for HiYelaGurl's cougar club.
As long as the cub is a mature adult I guess there isn't anything wrong with a cougar and a cub being together. Its gonna take some getting used to for me to be comfortable with dating younger men myself. I guess I just need the right young man to convince me it's a good idea. . .

6 comments:

  1. I see you wrote an article about yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I imagine other women have the same concerns I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm............ I don't even know how to comment on this subject??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a cougar and all I've dated this past year are cubs...10 years younger! Now I'm done with that! Not saying I want a senior citizen, but the cubs = toys... That's all...they come across mature in the beginning, but they always show different in time.. like clockwork! No thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. So is it unwise to date a man who's younger? Let's say more than 5 years younger? 10 years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 years younger and in there 20's...def no bueno!
    If you aren't looking for anything serious and absolutely no expectations then a cub is good for just that!
    CUBS = TOYS

    ReplyDelete