Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stalking: No Laughing Matter!

I know from firsthand experience what stalking is. A lot of people jokingly call other people stalkers because of their aggressive nature or over zealousness. That's all fun and games. To those being stalked, it’s no laughing matter! Stalking can range from unwanted attention to fear of physical harm. Whatever the degree, those who do the stalking are pitiful and pathetic!


I will not go into lengthy detail about my stalking experience nor will I divulge the name of my harasser. This is not to protect his privacy, but to protect mine.

I decided to break it off with a guy I was dating after about 2 years. He was having none of that. He would come up to my job and harass me, wait for me at the expressway exit I used, solicit information from my friends about my activities, spread rumors about me, and threaten my friends and family. One time he followed me to a nightclub where security had to be called to stop him from attacking me! This guy would literally call my house 15 times in an hour (thank GOD for caller ID). He would look for any excuse to contact me, even seeking reimbursement for things he had bought me during the course of our relationship including fast food. Who keeps tabs on that?

Everyone told me if I ignored him, he'd stop harassing me. I believe this only infuriated him more. He certainly couldn't say I was leading him on in any way. I would not take his calls, if I saw him coming I'd turn the other way, I did not allow his name to fall out of my mouth; I was truly ignoring him. This went on for about two years.

Did he think this behavior would make me want to get back with him? Him banging on the outside of my car when I stopped at stop lights was going to win me over? Was following me home from work really going to change my mind?

That was a long time ago, but every now and then someone will tell me that he asked about me…it still creeps me out!

1 comment:

  1. Girlllllllllllll I know what you went through but mine elevated to the criminal level including jail time not once, not twice, but 3 times. I have a very high opinion of myself but even I don't feel that I'm worth losing your freedom. This took place over a 2 year period. I'm still not sure it's over.

    ReplyDelete